About Historic Kilmun
The Argyll Mausoelum is located adjacent to Kilmun Church in the village of Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland on the shores of the Holy Loch. The history of Scotland has been associated with this area for thousands of years. The earliest known peoples settled here around 3500 BC; the 6th century Columban monk Fintan Munnu (Mun) built his chapel here; the Vikings explored here; there was a thriving mediaeval community; and the Victorian wealthy built their villas. People have been making their mark here for centuries.
The Argyll Mausoleum was built in 1790 to house the remains of the Dukes and Earls of Argyll, Chiefs of the Clan Campbell, and their families. The current building replaces an earlier chapel and records indicate that Clan Campbell chiefs have been buried here since the 15th century. The last burial was of the 10th Duke in 1949.
The Argyll Mausoleum Limited, SC041413 A Registered Scottish Charity.